Campaign Consultant (Thailand)
The International Labor Rights Forum is a human rights organization that promotes dignity and justice for workers in the global economy. We hold global corporations accountable for labor rights violations in their supply chains and advance policies and laws that protect workers, in close collaboration with grassroots worker organizations around the world. More information about ILRF is available at www.LaborRights.org.
The Campaign Consultant, with the supervision of the Senior Seafood Campaign Coordinator and the Legal and Policy Director, will support ILRF’s Seafood Workers’ Rights Campaign and the Seafood Working Group, advocating for government policies and corporate accountability models that support workers’ rights and end abuses in the seafood industry. The Seafood Working Group is a global coalition of labor, human rights and environmental organizations working to end forced labor in the Thai seafood industry. This is a part-time consultancy based in Bangkok, Thailand with an initial work period of six months.
- Support the implementation of advocacy efforts and campaigns for legal reform and corporate accountability in the seafood industry in Thailand, as well as in the poultry industry to a lesser extent
- Support for Seafood Working Group calls, including scheduling, record keeping, facilitation, and communication with members
- In coordination with the Senior Seafood Campaign Coordinator, maintain and develop relationships with worker-led organizations and CSOs in Thailand, including identifying needs and supporting capacity building activities or trainings
- In coordination with the Senior Seafood Campaign Coordinator, identify and develop relationships with key actors in the Thai government
- Maintain a social media presence to support the seafood campaign, as well as actions from allies and coalition partners
- Translation of reports, letters, blogs and other communications between English<>Thai
- Interpretation from English<>Thai during meetings, calls and events
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Thai
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience
- Experience working on migrant labor issues in Thailand
- Knowledge of labor rights issues and challenges in the global seafood industry
- Experience using social media
- Sensitive and careful approach in working with vulnerable populations
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong time-management, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Proactive, self-starter with sound judgment, curiosity, creativity, integrity and dedication
- Competency in an additional language, particularly Chinese, Burmese or Khmer
- Understanding of worker-centered and power-based analysis of corporate supply chains and initiatives, including corporate social responsibility (CSR), auditing, and certifications
- Knowledge of international human rights and labor rights standards
- Experience as a campaigner, organizer, educator or researcher on labor issues
Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest and suitability for the position in relation to the abovementioned responsibilities and qualifications to employment [at] ilrf.org (subject: Campaign%20Consultant%20(Thailand)) . Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRF is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and persons with diverse gender and sexual identities. This description does not constitute an employment contract, implied or otherwise.
For fall 2020 - spring 2021, we will have openings for students who receive federal work-study funding. Internship positions are customized based on interns' interests and experience. Starting in March 2021, we will welcome applications for summer 2021 positions from students receiving funding or credit from their universities or through Fulbright or similar programs. These are some of the skills that we seek in interns:
- Excellent writing skills
- Corporate research
- Legal research
- Qualitative research
- Quantitative research
- Graphic design
- Web design
- Publications layout
- Video production and editing
- Data entry
- Attention to detail
- Professional phone demeanor
- Native-level fluency and professional-level writing skills in Bangla, Khmai, Chinese, Russian, Spanish, or Uzbek.
To apply, please email internships [at] ilrf.org (subject: enter%20position%20title%20here%20%2B%20first%20name%2C%20last%20name) with:
- A letter indicating why you are interested in interning at ILRF and your areas of interest and skills, how many hours per week you are available and for which start date and end date, whether you have a funded stipend or are eligible for college credit, and whether you are located in Washington, DC or in a different city
- Your resume / CV
- A copy of any of the following that you have produced, as relevant to your inquiry: research paper, published article, campaign-related writing, graphic design sample, or video
- If you are indicating language fluency in your application, then please include a writing sample in that language in addition to your English writing sample
ILRF is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and persons with diverse gender and sexual identities.