Paul Yu Phils Corp.
Who owns it
Paul-Yu Industrial Corporation
What they produce
Decorative home lighting and furniture
Who they produce for
Pier 1 Imports, Home Center, Conforama
Private Label: TAROGO
Mactan Export Processing Zone in Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
Number of workers
Summary of Problems at the Factory
- Unjust suspension of workers connected with the workers association
- Implementation of three-day workweek for regular employees in December 2008 but lacked proper documentation and due notice with the Labor Department
- Outsourcing 40% of production to contractors
- Using contracted labor from AVI Amor Vil Inc. agency which is not registered with DOLE (Philippines Labor Ministry)
- Continuously renewing contracts for contract workers who have worked at Paul Yu for years instead of making them regular workers
- Lack of payment for holiday and break time
- Non-remittance of SSS deductions for agency workers
- Non-implementation of paternity leave
Workers have initiated a work stoppage in support of suspended leaders of their worker association. These seven leaders were suspended from work for an "illegal strike" after they filed a case against management's numerous unfair labor practices.
The Paul Yu workers association through its president Willy Dondoyano and the Partido ng Manggagawa (Labor Party-Philippines) is appealing for solidarity.
Communication with Buyers
ILRF has sent letters to Pier 1 Imports and HomeCenter.com requesting immediate attention and investigation into this situation.
Reports and More Information
- Pier 1 Imports Code of Conduct
- Paul Yu Ind. Corp. website
- Labor Party - Philippines Urgent Appeal for Solidarity
This factory case has ended because the workers decided to take the offer of management of a small severance package. The workers made this decision because they were in desperate need financial support given that they had been out of work for over a month. Unfortunately Pier 1 Imports need little to actually implement its code of conduct or hold the factory accountable for this clear case of freedom of association violations.
Paul Yu Worker Protest
Workers Protesting Outside of Paul Yu Factory
Laborers during a Work Stoppage at a Pier 1 Imports Factory
Workers Protesting Unjust Treatment at Pier 1 Factory
Worker Stoppage Outside of the Paul Yu Factory